[Fedora-packaging] compat packages: worst-case scenario - conflicts

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Jul 8 11:38:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 19:03:36 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MS> JFYI, so more people become aware of one pitfall related to
> MS> compat-* packages:
>
> So far the proposed uses of compat- packages in extras that I've seen
> have been for providing libraries only.  Perhaps we could consider
> standardizing that usage only and consider other uses as they come up.

In case you haven't noticed, the two bug reports I've pointed to are about
compat- library packages. Their i18n message object files conflict, and it
would be wrong to delete them and only ship the libs. It's just another
problem which can be fixed, but which makes creating such compat- or
libfooMAJVER- packages less easy.