[Fedora-packaging] Single package directory ownership

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jul 11 14:30:32 UTC 2006

I'm running into a situation with this rule.

The xorg package set.  There is xorg-x11-server-Xorg, and a lot of
xorg-x11-drv-foo packages.  The drv packages drop files
in /usr/lib/xorg/modules and /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers  (lib64 for
obvious places).  However, xorg-x11-server-Xorg also puts files there.
Normally we'd say that xorg-x11-server-Xorg must own those directories and
not the drivers.  BUT xorg-x11-server-Xorg requires drivers, drivers require
Xorg, insert dep loop here.

The X folks think that when RPM is faced with this, it will make an arbitrary
decision at where to do the transaction, and there could be a case where
xorg-x11-server-Xorg is removed before a drv package, and unless all the drv
packages own the modules and drivers dirs, those directories could get left
behind.

Does this qualify as an exception to the single ownership rule?  I've cc'd
Mike and Ajax from the X team as they are not on this list.  Please include
them in CCs for the discussion (reply-all on smart clients).

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora