[Fedora-packaging] Java Naming Page

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Jul 14 16:39:17 UTC 2006

Le vendredi 14 juillet 2006 à 10:48 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III a
écrit :
> I wonder how this discussion would go if we did s/Jpackage/DAG/ (or
> AT, or RPMForge, or any other external repository) and s/jpp/dag/.  I
> mean, honestly, how is the situation really all that different?

What's different is the package inter-dependencies.
You can take bits from dag or rpmforge and import them in fedora one
after the other because they are mostly independant apps (plus many more
people know C or perl packaging than java packaging)

You can not do the same for jpackage, you have a lot of fine-grained
dependencies reaching several levels up to the jvm (so when the jvm
changes you need a full synchronised rebuild or even spec rewrite like
what's is happening right now in rawhide for C/C++ packages).

Swallowing 500 packages at once, and them updating them is a large work.
So large the effort is currently pooled at the jpackage level by rpm
distros, and the fedora java group tries to minimise fc/jpp differences
so they don't have to do it all by themselves.

Take one of the rpm the dependency graphers and run it on jpp repo, it
will enlighten you.

--
Nicolas Mailhot