[Fedora-packaging] Re: atrpms kernel modules

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jul 19 22:59:37 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 18:37, Axel Thimm wrote:
> I wished I had been involved at that time to argue against this
> unfortunate change, but probably it was during the "cold war" where
> most people including myself had run out of batteries and could not
> try to save the world anymore :)
>
> Anyway it's never too late, I'm optimistic about the new world
> order.

This becomes important as kernel ABI starts working, and you can build a
module for a given kernel ABI and have it work on any new (or old) kernel
that maintains the same ABI.  No longer will modules be locked to a specific
kernel version, and thus uname -r becomes irrelevant.  I do believe Jon
Masters is giving a talk on this at OLS.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora