[Fedora-packaging] Re: atrpms kernel modules

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Jul 22 13:45:51 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 14:35, Axel Thimm wrote:
> I really thing there is a flaw and the uname-r-in-name is the only way
> out, and I'd try to persuade people about that. Maybe they could be
> poited to this mail thread as well, as everything is in principle layed
> out here.

With the kabi stuff coming along, there is no longer a need to lock a given
module to a given kernel version, just an ABI version.  The kernel could
easily be bumped a version but the ABI that a particular module needs would
remain unchanged, and thus the module will continue to work.  Locking to a
uname will be pointless at this point.

Jon Masters is giving (gave?) a talk about this at OLS and was discussing
these things at the kernel summit I do believe.  I strongly feel we wait for
him to return from OLS so that we can include him in the discussion
surrounding packaging of external kernel modules.

As it stands, the development kernel does automatically provide an ABI
checksum for each module subdirectory, and rpm knows about it.  Requires on
an ABI supposedly works today.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora