[Fedora-packaging] Re: atrpms kernel modules

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jul 23 18:01:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 07:31:46PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Tom 'spot' Callaway schrieb:
> > [...]
> > I'll defer to Thorsten and Axel on this one, since they've been knee
> > deep in this.
>
> scop should be asked, too. He's probably knee deep (or even deeper) into
> this, too.
>
> > If BOTH of you agree that the _ONLY_ way to have sane kernel
> > module packages (without making rpm changes) is to overload Name,
> > then I'll withdraw my objection to it. (I know Axel feels that
> > way, do you Thorsten?)
>
> Well, I stick to my opinion that "uname -r" in Name creates some
> problems on its own and not worth the trouble.

But please be as fair as to admit that w/o uname-r in name the
problems are several magnitudes worse. rpm -U/-i will nuke or
overwrite kernel modules of the running kernel in a uname-r-less
scheme.

uname-r-in-name and the kmdl scheme isn't going to bring peace on
earth, but it is already very close to the requirements on kernel
module packages which no merging-versions-scheme can be.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net