[Fedora-packaging] Re: atrpms kernel modules

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jul 23 18:24:34 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 02:20:13PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 14:12, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Well, add to the above that the kABI isn't going to give you an
> > orderable single entry like uname-r does (but maybe noone cares, the
> > kernel module packaging at least wouldn't), and that no user will
> > understand the mapping between his kernel, whose uname -r he knows,
> > and a kABI checksum.
> >
> > But in principle if one day kABI checksums gain a popularity/visibilty
> > like uname-r has today on the user's side, then I agree, that uname-r
> > in the name could be replaced with a kABI checksum. In the kmdl scheme
> > this would be a rather trivial change.
>
> Perhaps I fail to see the problem.  Once you have an ABI to use for requires
> and such, can't you use someting more simple in the version or release rather
> than a uname-r in the name?

The kABI is a set of headers out of which you can generate a
checksum. The checksum will by definition not be orderable, and also
not memorizable. Similar to mercurial changeset ids.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net