Re: [Fedora-packaging] COPYING (license) not under docdir

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 17:25 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 23:17 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
Hi,

I'm reviewing a package where the license file is under %{_datadir}
beacuse the gtk GUI needs to display it. Moving it to %doc is bad as
the application would be dependent on %doc content. But not having it
in %doc is bad, too, as this is the canonical place someone will query
the license text.

IMHO in this case it should be doubled. Do you agree?
I don't see a problem with duplicating it but is there any problem with
a symlink from %_datadir to the docdir?
Yes,

- they could be on different partitions, so symlinks might not be
available.

Why not?

- A file under %{_datadir]/<somewhere> is application data, not rpm
%doc'umentation. Though the files might be identical, they are
completely different beasts.

So?

- rpm --excludedocs (i.e. if symlinking, then the physical copy must be
in %{_datadir} and the symlink in %docdir.

As long as both are marked %doc, there shouldn't be a problem.

Frankly speaking, I'd not waste any time on symlinking, but duplicate
the files, instead.

Agreed.

While we're on the subject, what's the importance that the license file under %_docdir anyway? As far as I'm concerned, as long as the license is in the package somewhere, that's should be sufficient.

-- Rex