Re: [Fedora-packaging] BuildRoot

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 12:38 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote :

> Your example is bad. On a default installation, you'll hit permission
> problems in /usr/src/ way before hitting them on /var/tmp...
Yes.

> so
> you need the users to define stuff in their ~/.rpmmacros anyway. Why not
> just also set %_tmppath there at the same time?
Agreed, in a perfect world users should not have to add anything
to .rpmmacros, but ... real world is different.

>  Makes your example work
> fine. FYI, I never used /var/tmp for _tmppath when I used to build
> on real systems... now with mach and mock, I don't care anymore.
If _tmppath would default to ~/<somedir>, or if redhat was shipping an
rpm with a safe %buildroot, none of these issues wouldn't have popped
up.

Current real world is different: Users set %_topdir in .rpmmacros but
nobody sets %_tmppath.

> I'd really prefer we try to move forward here, i.e. get some comments
> on my point n°2 about trying to set a sane (non empty like currently)
> default for BuildRoot, so that we can simply forget about it in a few
> releases.
IMO the answer is clear: We are playing with symptoms. It should be
solved inside of RPM. Unfortunately the responsible parties seem to
prefer to push this issue to users, instead of solving it.

Ralf