[Fedora-packaging] Advice sought on a package currently under review

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Jul 25 13:43:52 UTC 2006

PFJ wrote:

> I'm currently reviewing libpano12. It's GPL and the version supplied
> doesn't break any patents due to a change.
>
> However, I've asked the person who has submitted the package how simple
> it would be to alter the code to break the patent and it's incredibly
> easy.
>
> Could someone advise me how to proceed with this package? I know how
> anal they are in the US over patents (if they exist or not sometimes!)
> and don't want to land in any hot water.

afaict, the package doesn't (knowingly) violate any patents as-is, so it
should be fine.  freetype is similar that as-is it is fine, but with a
single change, it can (probably) be patent infringing.

> P.S. Given I'm currently reviewing, am I able to sponsor or is that
> something that is decided elsewhere?

If you have to ask, then the answer is probably no.  You need to be
classified as a "sponsor" to be able to sponsor someone.  See "Becoming
a Sponsor" on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SponsorProcess

-- Rex