[Fedora-packaging] PHP guidelines

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Tue Jul 25 16:08:08 UTC 2006

Jason L Tibbitts III a écrit :
> So, is there still any interest in PHP guidelines at all?

Of course.

I have a lot of packages in review or waiting for it to be approved.
Bugs : 190007, 190066, 190101, 190156, 190956, 190957, 190958, 192583

And some others near ready...
> I worked up http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/PHP but then
> Ville had an idea for a template that doesn't need any special macro
> definitions to be provided by the php-pear package.  I don't know what
> the current state of things is.
>
> Is there any chance of making any forward movement soon?  We're going
> to start losing packagers if we can't get some reviews done soon.
>
> Regarding PECL modules, I looked over the php-pecl-xdebug package
> which is the only PECL module under review currently.
There is also php-pecl-zip (approved but waiting the this guidelines
approved)
> The spec is
> clean and requires two macros which I have in the above draft,
> although the means for determining the  API version is completely
> different.  Could someone comment on the differences and relative
> strengths of:
>
> %define php_apiver %((phpize --version 2>/dev/null || echo 'PHP Api Version: 20041225' ) | sed -n '/PHP Api Version/ s/.*:  *//p')
>
> and
>
> %define php_apiver  %((echo 0; php -i 2>/dev/null | sed -n 's/^PHP API => //p') | tail -1)

Default values are different (0 for php -i, 20041225 for phpize --version).
I think phpize is faster and is made for this.

In a future we'll probably have to check the 3 values (from phpize
--version) as PHP Api Version seems meaningless for me (don't change).
For php-5.1.4 :
PHP Api Version:         20041225
Zend Module Api No:      20050922
Zend Extension Api No:   220051025
For php-5.2.0 (dev)
PHP Api Version:         20041225 (no change)
Zend Module Api No:      20060613
Zend Extension Api No:   220060519

I think "Requires: php >= #.#.#" is not a good thing (except for very
recent version)
as pear extensions could be used with php command.
The requirement of php also imply httpd.

And php already required by php-pear.

In Rawhide, php as split in 3 packages :
php (apache module) and php-cli and php-common
php-api is now provides by php-common (there still have a lot of job
to do to allow php-cli and extension installation possible without php).

Having a template for spec file is probably a good idea,
but the simplest way to create a spec file is to use
"pear makerpm" or "pear make-rpm-spec".
So this commands should conform to this guildelines.

See bug # 185423

Cordialy
Remi.