[Fedora-packaging] PHP guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Jul 26 23:11:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 15:32 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> On 7/26/06, Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com> wrote:
> > Read again what I wrote -- it's not about a feature that's in php
> > (well, actually a feature of the web server) "?> ", it's about a
> > hypothetical bug discovery process involving "<?php ".
>
> So should we change all php source files to use "<?php" or should you
> fix php to accept "<?php ".  Then ask yourself, should we fix all spec
> files to add a %build, or should we fix redhat-rpm-config?

Yep.  We fix redhat-rpm-config.  Then the next time we run across
something unexpected happens we break packages again.  Then we fix it
again.  Then it breaks again.....

We're supposed to be promoting good packaging practice here.  If we know
that something as simple as including %build in your spec is a way to
isolate your package from some subset of problematic special cases, then
we should do that.

-Toshio