[Fedora-packaging] Re: yum kmdl plugin (was: atrpms kernel modules)

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Jul 27 22:12:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 01:07 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Thanks, I looked it up and indeed writing a yum plugin for kmdls is
> trivial. I really like the design of the plugin/hook mechanism.
>
> So I managed to get a fully featured kmdl plugin under 100 python
> lines (actually 99 ;). It even has two modes of operation:

Yah the plugin interface is pretty happy. I even gave a tutorial at lca
on the subject:

http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/lca-yum-tutorial/

Menno and others did some great work on the interface.

> yum update:  Will update/coinstall kmdl of all old and new kernels
>
> yum install: Will only do something with kmdls if a kernel is asked to
> 	     be installed (and only for that kernel)
>
> I differ between the two, because I don't want the user to be
> surprised with kernel module installations when he yum-installs
> openoffice :)
>
> It also supports asynced kernel/kernel-module repo arrival. When a
> kernel update appears it will be installed even when the kmdls aren't
> yet available/built. If on the next yum update the previously missing
> kmdls appear, they will get installed at that time.
>
> I'm attaching the file (kmdl.py) to this mail. Seth & Jack you have a
> look and if approved add it to yum/yum-util sources (whatever is more
> appropriate)? If you don't like it let me know what needs improvement.

I'll take a look shortly. thanks.

The plugins are generally put in the yum-utils package and each of them
broken out into their own subpackage.

then adding them or not is easy for the end user.

If everything looks okay is that cool for you?

-sv