[Fedora-packaging] Mono Packaging Issues

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Jun 13 15:49:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 09:43 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 09:35 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 22:41 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >
> > > Fedora's Python and Perl place arch independent data into /usr/lib,
> >
> > It can be argued that this is a packaging glitch
> A different view is: It's generalization and simplification.

YMMV, but the way I read the FHS ("Architecture independent data goes
to /usr/share"), this is against it.  Ignoring backwards compatibility
issues, it would be hardly any more difficult to have them in /usr/share
than /usr/lib.

> >  (which is hard to fix
> > in a backwards compatible manner) in both of them.
> What would it buy you? ... In first place complexity ...

FHS (and thus LSB) compliance, again the way I read it.  Whether it's
worth the pain of changing is another story, but IMO if there's no
historical baggage to take into account (such as possibly in the Mono
case there isn't), one should try to follow the standards.