[Fedora-packaging] Mono Packaging Issues

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 22:33:14 UTC 2006

On 6/14/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Le mercredi 14 juin 2006 à 15:34 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 22:17 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > >
> > > Why on earth do you want it in /usr/lib if you know it's
> > > arch-independant ?
> >
> > Because they're still libraries, in a weird perverted Windowsy way?
>
> So what ?
> Are their any less libraries than jar files ? lisp packages ?
>
> All those end up in /usr/share in Fedora now, as the FHS demands

Are they any less libraries than Perl, Ruby, or Python code?  Those
all end up in /usr/lib.

> The "it's code, therefore it shouldn't go in /usr/share" argument is
> bogus. We have a ton of code in /usr/share, both shared and app-specific

Those three languages are grandfathered in because they expect to
install code and shared libraries in /usr/lib. They now put shared
libraries and code that uses them under /usr/lib64 and noarch packages
in /usr/lib.

Mono is probably in the same boat.  It might be possible to put the
arch-independent code in /usr/share but it would create compatibility
problems with existing packages, other distributions, and the
installers expectations. Probably not worth the trouble for LHS
purity.

 - Ian