[Fedora-packaging] Re: License tag in packages

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 23:18:26 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:
> CS> Personally I want as little liability on me as a packager as
> CS> possible.
>
> Note that this would essentially require no interpretation of the
> license whatever.

If indeed there is some liability issues on the packager on the
License field, I think then it should be discussed about placing a
weblink in the License field and have some type of standard such as:

License: Fedora Approved (GPL) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/..

The wiki page would then explain the different class of licenses
acceptable by Fedora and note that the (GPL) indicates a class of
licenses associated with GPL, etc.

Or even omitting the (GPL) part.

This would be ideal, but probably on a more realistic standpoint the
status quo will remain, that is the License field is up to the
packager and should just remain a should item on reviews.

However, I think there should be a consensus on what should be
considered "best practice" if the packager is in doubt.