[Fedora-packaging] RFC: init script naming

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Sun Jun 11 17:33:44 UTC 2006

Dnia 11-06-2006, nie o godzinie 12:15 -0400, Jesse Keating napisał(a):
> I think it is a good guideline if possible.  When the name makes sense.
> package 'sendmail' makes sense to have a sendmail init.d script.  There
> are a lot of examples though of package <name> that has a daemon
> component named <name>d.  Maybe do a warning if the init script isn't
> %{name} || %{name}d  ?
I still don't get why "sendmail" is good for package name and an init.d
script name and "apache" is not. Sendmail is an MTA and I should start
any MTA using for example "service smtpd start". Apache HTTP Server
(see, it even doesn't contain "HTTPD" in its name!) is HTTP daemon, but
not the only one out there, so while "service httpd start" looks good,
the package name isn't good at all.

I vote for package name being package name and init script being named
after the function it performs. I know that it makes it impossible to
have 7 httpds installed at a time, but:
1. they can't co-exist nicely anyhow (every httpd is configured to run
on port 80, even hacking config files and running another one on port 81
is not an option for many firewalls) and
2. if the program to do a function changes name or is replaced by
another program (sendmail by postfix, uw-imap by dovecot or something),
I don't have to learn, which program replaces which and does what. I
just need to know which service do I need to enable in
ntsysv/system-config-services. This is important to make Fedora
user-friendly and to make many different Fedora FAQ-s to work for more
than one release.

Alternatively, can't something like /etc/alternatives be used if many
httpds/mtas/whatever are installed? Or even a multi-daemon system, where
I have one /etc/init.d/httpd which can start any number of http daemons
using their init scripts if they are configured
(like /etc/init.d/network starts many interfaces depending on their
configuration)?

Debian took another route, I even have to know which Apache HTTPD
version is installed, because the old one is called "apache" and newer
"apache2". At least one of many httpds isn't preferred over other ones
by using name like "the only "httpd" in the distribution" ;)

Lam