[Fedora-packaging] Namespace for cross-compilation tools?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 16 03:59:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 20:38 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> I was looking through the old review tickets and saw Ralf's submission
> of i386-rtems4.7-binutils.  I don't believe that's a good name,
Why?

This name is the name being used for GNU crosstool toolchains for many
years (> a decade). It corresponds to the target canonicalization tuple
internally being used by binutils/gcc/gdb, and the autotools.

Also using $target as package prefix is convenient when browsing
repositories, because all packages will be sorted neighboring in
directory listings.

>  but I
> can't really think of what it should be named.  binutils-i386-rtems4.7
> is one possibility, but then the gcc package would end up as
> gcc-newlib-i386-rtems4.7 which isn't logically connected to the
> binutils package.
>
> How about a "cross" namespace: cross-target-utility would give us
> cross-i386-rtems4.7-binutils and cross-i386-rtems4.7-gcc-newlib.
>From my view: <target>-{binutils|gcc|gdb|libc|newlib}

Prefixing these packages with "cross" to me is meaningless, because it's
redundant.

Also remember: The applications inside are native (=Linux)applications,
it's only that they target "a foreign system".

Ralf