[Fedora-packaging] Namespace for cross-compilation tools?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Jun 16 04:19:25 UTC 2006

>>>>> "RC" == Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:

RC> Why?

What is "i386" and why does it have a subpackage of "rtems4.7"?

RC> This name is the name being used for GNU crosstool toolchains for
RC> many years (> a decade). It corresponds to the target
RC> canonicalization tuple internally being used by binutils/gcc/gdb,
RC> and the autotools.

So?  We are free to make decisions for ourselves instead of blindly
using someone else's naming convention.  If the name is completely
confusing (as it is to me) then surely we should talk about it before
just stuffing it into the repository.  We have no guidelines for this
kind of thing, so it warrants discussion.  This is the proper list for
such discussion, right?

RC> Prefixing these packages with "cross" to me is meaningless,
RC> because it's redundant.

There doesn't seem to be any other part of the package name that would
suggest such.

 - J<