[Fedora-packaging] Re: Build Error (Job 11111): dejavu-fonts-2_7_0-0_16_943~20060614svn_fc6 on fedora-development-extras

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 19:52:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 20:53 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le vendredi 16 juin 2006 à 13:21 -0500, Rex Dieter a écrit :
> > Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >
> > > If the buildsys does not like ~, what separator could I use ?
> > > I need to construct an alphatag out of svn number, svn date, svn string
> > >
> > > For obvious reasons :
> > > - svn number and svn date must be separated,
> > > - the separator must be part of the base latin block
> > > - - is taken as rpm field separator
> > > - . is taken as in-field separator
> >
> > Despite your reservation about '.', that's probably the best option.
>
> It seems plus (+) works, is easy to type and read, and is not already
> taken (so no one will accuse me of breaking alphatag in multiple
> fields).
>
> I now christen 'svnnumber'+'svndate'svn my official svn alphatag.
>
> If no one objects and I remember how I'll put it in the wiki too.

I object :-)

I think the Packaging Guidelines are unclear, but really specify two
separate cases:

1) This prerelease is a tarball.  In which case it should carry
upstream's chosen %{alphatag}:: dejavu-sfd-2.7.0-0.X.20060614-943

2) This prerelease is a snapshot that has no upstream %{alphatag}, in
which case you use DATEsvn: dejavu-sfd-2.7.0-0.X.20060614svn.

Given that upstream is creating the tarball in this case, I can see
either method being appropriate.  However, I think mixing the two
together should not become official policy.

Prereleases and Snapshots::

I'm with tibbs in that I think snapshots should be considered
postreleases, not prereleases.  In the special case where there has been
no previous release, it should be a postrelease of the fictitious
version "0" release.  It's rude to put upstream in the position of
receiving bug reports about a non-existent version.  Once upstream ships
a tarball with the version updated, you can start shipping snapshots
that are postreleases of that tarball.

foo-2.6.9.tar.gz [Released 20060101]

foo-20060614-943.tar.gz
foo-2.6.9-0.1.20060614svn.rpm

foo-2.7.0-pre1.tar.gz [Released 20060615]
foo-2.7.0-0.1.pre1.rpm

foo-20060616-999.tar.gz
foo-2.7.0-0.2.pre1.20060616svn.rpm

-Toshio