[Fedora-packaging] Re: License tag in packages

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 29 08:36:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 09:23 +0100, Tim Jackson wrote:
> Christopher Stone wrote:
>
> > This has been brought up in discussions before:
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2006-March/msg00004.html

> > The bottom line is that Header tags SHOULD not be used to determine the
> > license.
>
> Is it not redundant then?

IMO, the License:-tag should be considered to be a short informative
abbreviated description for the actual licensing, and not to be
considered a legally binding description.

> > We want to encourage people to read the ACTUAL license itself, not our
> > header tags.

Things in practice are much more complicated. Developers wanting to use
a package for development will have to dive into the source code in any
case. For normal Fedora users, the License-tag, a "LICENSE" file and the
source files are equally uninteresting.

Ralf