[Fedora-packaging] Open issues with the PHP guidelines

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Fri Jun 30 10:40:42 UTC 2006

Christopher Stone wrote:

> I have put up what I think is a good template for pear modules here:
> http://tkmame.retrogames.com/fedora-extras/spectemplate-pear.spec

Great, thanks for the work on this. You seem to have simplified/improved
some aspects of what I'd come up with so far as a "best" spec as used in
  a slightly less generic form in:

http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/specs/php-pear-PEAR-Command-Packaging.spec

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will do so with
PEAR_Command_Packaging soon. Immediate (minor) points from a visual scan:

a) Requires: php - is this necessary? Surely a dep on php-pear(PEAR) is
sufficient, since that will itself pull PHP in?

b) Provides: php-Foo-Bar - what's the reasoning behind this?

c) You've removed all the pearrc cruft - if this really works (which it
looks like it should) then GREAT! I inherited that from previous work by
other people and have never really thought about it but logically since
we have a BR of php-pear, then the PEAR defaults should be appropriate
for our distro and there's no need to construct a temporary pearrc.

d) I think "%{__cp} -p package.xml" should be replaced with
"%{__install} -m 644 ...", just as a good practice thing

Tim