[Fedora-packaging] python listed explicitly as exception and added to buildsys-build groups

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sat Nov 11 14:08:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:43:51PM +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 14:27 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Jesse Keating (jkeating at redhat.com) said:
> > > I think all the current python module packages don't BuildRequire python.  Nor
> > > requires either, since that's automatically done by rpm now (provided python
> > > is in the buildroot)
> >
> > Not all of them, and I think it's wrong to think they shouldn't. At
> > least the ones I've packaged BR python & python-devel.
>
> There are definitely some. I got bitten by that a while ago when trying
> to rebuild an FE package in a RHEL mock root. And I don't see any danger
> in formalizing that python is an exception; it's been treated that way
> for a long time.

Exactly why it belongs as a per-package BR, so we don't have to keep
track of it in every distro-version's exception list.

Everyone loves python, but how often is it necessary for the packages of Fedora Universe?

Here's my count of packages that require python after the fact:

$ (for f in $(find . -name \*.rpm); do if rpm -qp --requires $f | \
   grep "^(python =|/usr/bin/python)" > /dev/null 2>&1; then echo $f; fi; done) | wc -l

Core-6-x86_64:    74 / 2931 = 2.5%
Extras-6-x86_64:  135 / 4949 = 3.25%

Given that there are more .$arch.rpm packages than .src.rpm packages,
this means there are fewer than 2.65% of Universe that requires python
at runtime, so presumably about that many also *should* require it at
build time.  Not enough to require it in every buildroot.

My $0.02.

Thanks,
Matt

--