[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts in Core and Extras packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 14 12:06:23 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt schrieb:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:35:26 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Michael Schwendt schrieb:
>>> Or rephrased:
>>>    "Does FESCO want a full install of Fedora Extras and Core to be
>>>     possible or not?"
>> Well, Core has conflicts with other core packages afaik. So the above
>> will never work afaics, with or without Extras.
> Is that true?

I did a quick recheck, could not find any, sorry, seems I was wrong on that.

> The stuff I'm interested in first is "Conflicts: foo" which actually
> prevent multiple packages to be installed at once. Such conflicts do exist
> in Fedora Extras and asks for steering.

I'm all for that rule -- but for *both Core and Extras* and thus from
the packaging committee. E.g. something like this:

"Packages should not explicitly conflict with other packages that are
part of the same release of Fedora Core or Extras."

And I'd like to see some guidelines from the packaging committee in what
situations it's okay to use the Conflicts tag for other purposes (e.g.
Conflicts: kernel < 2.6.16).

CU
thl