[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts in Core and Extras packages

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 14 18:40:45 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:01:01 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> Is that true?
>> The kernel package, for example, has a boatload of versionned conflicts
>> to prevent installation on a system with the wrong userspace level.
>
> Void.
>
> The right userspace tools are part of Core, so these conditional conflicts
> only become active under corner-case conditions and then create artificial
> hurdles.

There have been times in the past where I wanted to try a rawhide kernel
on a current-release Fedora version to see if it fixed an issue I was
having. The versioned requires/conflicts that the kernel has were very
useful at that time, as it told me what else I needed to pull from
rawhide to do the experiment.

Paul.