[Fedora-packaging] Re: --vendor fedora, rationale/motivation?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Nov 28 15:03:20 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm wrote:

> this discussion resulted in some recommendations in the guidelines and
> elsewhere, but old packages are supposed to keep any naming (vendor)
> they used for backwards compatibility with menu editors, correct?

Yep, that is the primary(only?) motivation for keeping
dir+vendor+desktop_file_name constant.

> What do you think?

I agree with your sentiments.  Package maintainers need to weigh the
pros/cons of continuing the use of --vendor=fedora.  If you feel the
advantages of dropping it outweigh the disadvantage of possibly breaking
users' customized menus, I see no problem with that.

-- Rex