[Fedora-packaging] How to make a Provides based on package contents?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Nov 29 20:09:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 16:09 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> I went with octave(%{octave_api}) rather than octave(api) =
> %{octave_api}

The potential problem with that is that it has severely limited
possibilities of versioned dependencies - only an exact match works, you
can't do eg. ">=" with it.  You know better than me whether that's
actually ever likely to become a problem in this case.

In the VDR case, I'm using the API version like "Provides: vdr(abi)
= ..." and "Provides: vdr-devel(api) = ..." in the main and -devel
packages, and "BuildRequires: vdr-devel(api) >= ..." and "Requires:
vdr(abi) = ..." in plugin packages.

>  because I was getting errors when starting to build a
> package in mock that octave(api) was not being set to anything (during
> the buildroot setup phase - octave-config is unavailable there).  If
> someone can point me around that, that would be great.

Like tibbs said, just make sure it parses correctly even if octave is
not available.  The %{apiver} definition in vdr-subtitles and
vdr-osdteletext packages contain one example way to do it.