[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts in Core and Extras packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 14 11:35:26 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt schrieb:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 07:08:36 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> For those of you that are not on fedora-advisory-board find attached a
>> discussion with Michael Schwendt on that list that IMHO falls in the
>> area of the Packaging Committee. Could you guys please handle that? tia!
>>
>> If the Committee thinks some parts of this discussion is the area of the
>> FESCo please notify me or that the PC members that are part of FESCo
>> bring it over to FESCo. Also please try to get Michael involved into
>> this discussion -- he seems to be interested in this so he's probably
>> one of the best people to find a solution for the issue.
>
>> But I don't think there is anything to do for FESCo *before* there are
>> general packaging rules in the guidelines that clarify when Conflicts
>> are allowed/acceptable and when not (for both Core and Extras). Further:
>> Extras is no second class citizen -- if Core packages are allowed to
>> conflict with other parts of Core then Extras packages should IMHO be
>> allowed to Conflict with packages of Core, too. Sure, that should be
>> controlled and I think FESCo in the future should approve each Conflict
>> before it hits the repo.
> If you had added these extra paragraphs to the original thread on f-a-b
> list, I would have commented it with:
>    "Why can't FESCO simply decide whether they want Fedora Extras
>     to be free of package conflicts or not?"

We *should* not "simply decide" without evaluating first if there are
valid reasons for conflicts. All we have until now is this discussion --
we don't have rules or guidelines when conflicts are acceptable and when
not.

And I don't see any reasons why those rules or guidelines need to be
different between Core and Extras, and thus it's IMHO business for the
packaging committee. If Spot/the Committee clearly says "No, that's not
our area of work" then I'll consider it a task for FESCo again.

> Or rephrased:
>    "Does FESCO want a full install of Fedora Extras and Core to be
>     possible or not?"

Well, Core has conflicts with other core packages afaik. So the above
will never work afaics, with or without Extras.

> [...]
>
> Beyond that, it can be decided whether packagers must add comments to
> every "Conflicts" tag (and not just Conflicts, but also Obsoletes),
> giving a proper justification.

+1

CU
thl