[Fedora-packaging] Re: libtool(.la) archive policy proposal

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu Oct 12 06:21:01 UTC 2006

On Oct  6, 2006, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Oct  5, 2006, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:

>>> So? That's not a problem with the mentioned patch.

>> Ignoring dependency_libs would break the following case:
>> - libA.la, static only...

> 2.  Good thing we don't package static libs (or at least *strongly*
> discouraged).

This is too narrow a vision.

Fedora is a major development platform for packages that ship
libtool-using packages for many different platforms.

If we break libtool such that it still works for us, but won't work
for others, people who develop their packages on Fedora will think
libtool will get them the portability they expect, but it won't
because Fedora broke the portability.

Thinking of Fedora-only changes for libtool is completely missing the
point about how libtool is used.

Secretary for FSF Latin America        http://www.fsfla.org/