[Fedora-packaging] Re: libtool(.la) archive policy proposal

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Oct 12 18:01:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:31:20AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > So ATM I'm still not convinced that there is any other drawback than a
> > couple too many BRs on *-devel packages.
>
> It's more than a "couple too many BRs", some complex pkgs would/could get
> 10+.  For one concrete example, see kdelibs:
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/170602
>
> Take this to an extreme, and we might as well go back to dropping the
> minimal buildroot and simply do
> BuildRequires: world
> for everything.

I haven't really checked on what is considered a minimal buildroot
these days, but I think nothing in it even comes close to kdelibs :)

The issue with a couple more BR or a dozen for some packages like
kdelibs just mean that for some chroot builds the build system would
install a couple (or dozen) too many *-devel packages (along with the
mandatory in both cases non devel packages). The drawback is that
these packages will need a couple of seconds more to build. Do we
really care?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net