[Fedora-packaging] Re: Refining today's "don't touch system fs" guideline

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Oct 13 07:33:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 06:06:11AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>  E.g. there exist packages, which want/need to be built "multi-staged",
> with %build containing (often: temporary) installs to %{buildroot}.
> In some (very rare) occasions, packages even require "building" inside
> of %buildroot.

These are exactly the broken packages that I want to cater with the
proposed changes!

If you want to do staged installs during build time you *HAVE* to do
so in builddir, not buildroot.

>  The constraint you're adding above, would (IMO: unnecessarily) close
> out these packages from being packaged, or force packagers to resort to
> move "building" to %install.

Nope, both ways are a sloppy way of packaging. It should be
forbidden. Stage your builds in %build/%{builddir}, don't build in
%install and don't touch %{buildroot} in %prep/%build. This should be
carved in stone.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net