[Fedora-packaging] Re: libtool(.la) archive policy proposal

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:26:39 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 13:58 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 02:45:31PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> > > I think the thread made clear that this is not the case.
> >
> > If it did, I missed it.  Got any pointers to posts that support the
> > above conclusion to share?
>
> How about this thread? No, honestly check the discussion especially
> Alexandre's posts who goes into the details of both libtool and
> non-libtool library internals.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2006-October/msg00080.html

I think this is the best statement from Alexandre of the facts which he
works out over the course of the message.  I think there are two options
for what to do about it:

A) Get rid of .la's with the possible exception of when static libraries
are kept (maybe this can go along with Ralf's Static Library proposal).
Uses of lt_dlopen("foo.la") are bugs and should be fixed by converting
to lt_dlopenext("foo")

B) Keep all *.la's and create the complete Requires chains specified by
the .la file (could be automated some day.)  And also have Application
packages that use lt_dlopen("foo.la") Require: the chains of library
file *.la's that contain them.  (Which either means application packages
Requiring: *-devel packages or application and main library packages
(libfoo rather than libfoo-devel) holding the *.la's)

-Toshio