[Fedora-packaging] Re: Announcing Dribble a new addon repo for Fedora Extras users

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Oct 18 14:42:01 UTC 2006

>>>>> "RC" == Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:

RC> This case clearly violates:
RC> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SourceRequirement

Except that it's firmware.

RC> and also is not covered by
RC> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#BinaryFirmware

It seems to me that it is.

"Some applications and drivers require binary-only firmware to
function."

OK, this is an application (an emulator) which requires the host
system's binary firmware in order to function.

"The files are non-executable (note: this means that the files cannot
run on their own, not that they are just chmod -x)"

Check.

"The files are not libraries."

Check.

"The files are standalone, not embedded in executable or library code."

Check.

"Explicit permission is given by the owner to freely distribute
without restrictions (this permission must be included, in "writing",
with the files in the packaging)"

Check.

"The files must be necessary for the functionality of open source code
being included in Fedora."

Check.

I assume you disagree with one or more of these, but I'm not sure which.

RC> These ROMs aren't a linux system's firmware, these are a foreign
RC> system's firmware, to be interpreted by an interpreter (emulator).

Precisely.  Are you drawing the distinction between firmware that is
executed by hardware that that which is executed by emulated hardware,
perhaps?

 - J<