[Fedora-packaging] Fedora Packaging Member forking Fedora/Causing problems with community and users

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Oct 18 17:19:18 UTC 2006

Christopher Stone wrote :

> As you are all probably intimately aware by now, there has been
> discussions about 3rd party repositories overriding base Fedora
> packages and creating their own distribution which causes very serious
> problems for users and damages the community.

This definitely reads like a personal opinion more than a fact.

> I suggest that we have a comittee (possibly the packaging comittee)
> create a wiki page which reviews 3rd party repositories for such
> things as:
>  - Does the repository have a review process
>  - Does the repository abide by Fedora packaging standards
>  - Does the repository override Fedora base packages
> and possibly other criteria.
>
> This will allow users to see which 3rd party repositories play nice
> with Fedora, and which ones fork Fedora to create their own
> distributions, etc.

I don't see how this is possible nor how it would help the Fedora
project in any way. Fedora is about Core, Extras and all the orbiting
projects. It's not about going hunting for (nor caring about) external
stuff.

> I FIND IT *VERY* DISTRUBING THAT ONE OF THESE REPOSITORY MAINTAINERS
> IS ON THE FEDORA PACKAGING COMITTEE!

Again : Your opinion.

I didn't reply in the OT flame fest, and will only reply once here,
quoting Jesse :

"Make it stop!!"

It wasn't meant for the maintainers list, I don't see how it suits the
packagers list any better. Thanks.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2759.fc6
Load : 0.27 0.26 0.26