[Fedora-packaging] Disabling debuginfo packages

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Oct 20 11:37:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:16:41 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:

> > I'd like to request the following packaging policy:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > If a packager uses something with the same effect than
> >
> >   %define debug_package %{nil}
> >
> > which disables the automatically built "debuginfo" package, the spec file
> > MUST contain a comment that explains why this is done.
>
> This goes without saying.  Infact why be so specific?  The rule should
> be that if anything is done that is out of the ordinary a comment must
> be added that explains why.

What is "anything that is out of the ordinary"? Where does it start?
Where does it stop? You could call some BuildRequires "out of the
ordinary", too, but a packager might consider them as ordinary.

Some things in spec files must be enforced in order to sharpen the package
maintainer's sense for adding explanatory comments.

We want debuginfo packages where possible. And where they are disabled,
we want to learn about the reason.