[Fedora-packaging] Re: Packaging into /srv? (was: FHS Compliance?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Oct 21 11:00:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:42:53PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le samedi 21 octobre 2006 à 04:14 +0200, Axel Thimm a écrit :
>
> > That's correct. Furthermore the FHS supports different hierarchies
> > below /srv depending on the site's needs. For example a server hosting
> > project1.org and project2.org would use
> >
> > /srv/project1.org/www and
> > /srv/project2.org/www
> >
> > So /srv should be kept free of any package bits. I'm copying the
> > packaging list, perhaps it's worth noting in the guide.
>
> The FHS like many things does not specify a particular policy. This
> should not stop Fedora from defining one. Much better to have a
> consistent well-though distro policy rather than free-for-all packager
> mess

Well-tought IMHO means not to impose any of the possible policies onto
the user since different scenarios require different methodologies. So
Fedora as a general purpose distibution should not freeze any degrees
of freedom here.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net