[Fedora-packaging] Kernel modules packaged for dkms

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Oct 9 16:13:06 UTC 2006

Nicolas Mailhot wrote :

> I think that for most people who tried it:
> 1. dkms vs in-core module: dkms loses
> 2. dkms vs other form of external modules (kmdl or fedora-style) : dkms wins.

I confirm that for my own case.

> Also dkms will increase the pressure on not applying fedora-specific
> patches over the upstream kernel. Don't know if it's a good or a bad thing
> (I know davej's opinion)

I'm not sure I understand the first sentence correctly :-/ If you meant
that it will reduce pressure to apply Fedora specific patches, it's
probably a good thing for the Fedora kernel maintainers, since a
parallel effort can be made to get the module(s) into the upstream
kernel, unless of course the Fedora kernel maintainers get swamped with
bug reports where kernels are tainted and/or running buggy modules
that don't come from the Fedora kernel...

But this discussion is also valid for the kmod packaging scheme anyway.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2726.fc6
Load : 1.43 1.46 1.20