[Fedora-packaging] Kernel modules packaged for dkms

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 23:37:40 UTC 2006

On 10/9/06, Matthias Saou
<thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding kernel modules, as many, I got tired of :
> 1) Packaging them as binary rpms, tracking new kernels to release new
> packages (it's almost impossible to track Rawhide btw).
> 2) Endless discussions about what packaging method is the best, upgrade
> paths, ugliness of versions inside names, common vs. kernel specific
> bits etc. etc.

After dealing with various fedora systems where someone gets a kernel
update and things not working because an extra drvier wasnt ready.. I
am all for the dkms solution as a system administrator. Yes it takes
more stuff on a client system, but for my workloads.. it has worked
out a better solution for my fedora and enterprise systems.