[Fedora-packaging] Disabling debuginfo packages

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Oct 20 19:01:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:07:23 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:

> > > This goes without saying.  Infact why be so specific?  The rule should
> > > be that if anything is done that is out of the ordinary a comment must
> > > be added that explains why.
> >
> > What is "anything that is out of the ordinary"? Where does it start?
> > Where does it stop? You could call some BuildRequires "out of the
> > ordinary", too, but a packager might consider them as ordinary.
>
> It's very simple.  You use your own judgement.  When in doubt, add a
> comment.  If there is ever any disagreement between packager and
> reviewer, the default is to add a comment.

??? Then something in our process is broken, because there are spec files
used in Extras where debuginfo packages are disabled _without_ a comment.

Further, we don't apply any formal post-approval reviewing (or QA), so
policies (or guidelines) for the post-approval life-time of a package are
needed. These are the same than during review, at least. But they don't
cover debuginfo packages yet.

I'm talking about _enforcing_ an explanatory comment in the spec file.