[Fedora-packaging] Packaging into /srv? (was: FHS Compliance?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Oct 21 02:14:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 02:32:20PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 10/19/06, J French <me at semitekie.com> wrote:
> >Just wondering if there's any intention of moving the default locations
> >for Apache's webroot and database files (MySQl, Postgres, et al) to /srv
> >where they belong.
> >

> Well it could be possible, but the /srv section is left up to the
> individual site to dictate layout and not the vendor (if I read the
> FHS correctly.

That's correct. Furthermore the FHS supports different hierarchies
below /srv depending on the site's needs. For example a server hosting
project1.org and project2.org would use

/srv/project1.org/www and
/srv/project2.org/www

So /srv should be kept free of any package bits. I'm copying the
packaging list, perhaps it's worth noting in the guide.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net