[Fedora-packaging] --add-category X-Fedora option to desktop-file-install not necessary nor used.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 18:25:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 10:05 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> JK> So for now, can I get votes to remove the --add-category X-Fedora
> JK> line from the guidelines?
>
> Could we first understand why it was added in the first place?  There
> must have been a reason, and knowing it should make it easy to decide
> whether or not it's still reasonable.

Fedora.us had this to say (From google cache):
http://tinyurl.com/yjxh6l

'''
All Categories must be from the standard set (see below), with the
exception that the "Application" category should be included where
appropriate (ie. for everything that is supposed to be shown in the
menus) for backwards compatibility even though it is not listed as a
standard category.

Additionally, all Fedora packages must contain the "X-Fedora" category.

For packages that exist in Red Hat Linux, the categories must be the
same as Red Hat's (+ X-Fedora).

For packages that are considered essential for end users, the
"X-Red-Hat-Base" Category must be added because that's currently the
only way to get them listed in the top level menus instead of "Extras"
on RH8 or "More foo..." on RH9.
'''

-Toshio