[Fedora-packaging] Re: Should packages really own their config files???

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Sep 4 14:06:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 02:55:25PM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 03:47:43PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > >
> > > With httpd we auto-generate a unique SSL certificate in %post
> > > (/etc/pki/tls/localhost.crt et al; some other packages are similar
> > > IIRC).  I don't think it would be correct to have those generated files
> > > %files-owned by the package in any way.
> >
> > I wouldn't consider certificates config files anyway. although one
> > should think about ownership over them, too. What's wrong with
> > %ghost %config(noreplace) them? Upgrades won't touch them.
>
> I don't know how a ghosted noreplace file would be handled actually.
> Would an --erase always remove such a file?  That is not really
> desirable.

I'm not sure, if it does, then don't %ghost it. The drawback of not
ghosting would be a phony empty /etc/pki/tls/localhost.crt.rpmnew. But
this could be removed in the same %post operation that generates the
contents for /etc/pki/tls/localhost.crt.

E.g.

%install
touch %{buildroot}%{mycert}

%post