[Fedora-packaging] .so files in main package for python packages

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 09:43:08 UTC 2006

Upstream says there is a packaging error in one of my packages,
pypoker-eval-devel.

Upstream claims that the .so file should not be in the devel package
but should be in the main package.

I told upstream about our .so rule saying .so files should be in
-devel, but he said this is not the case for python packages, and
promptly demonstrated that the libxml2-python package is similar and
that this package puts the .so files in the main pacakge on Fedora as
well.

So is libxml2-python package in error, or is upstream correct and
there are exceptions to the .so rule for python packages?

Upstream informs me that my package will break unless I put the .so
file in the main package.