[Fedora-packaging] Removing of unwanted compiler flags from $RPM_OPT_FLAGS

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Sep 12 04:59:01 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 13:12 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 19:40 +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > becouse I have to find out, that some packages like blender have
> > trouble if you are specify $RPM_OPT_FLAGS I have tried to search
> > a method to remove selected compiler options from $RPM_OPT_FLAGS.
> >
> > My suggestion to solve this problem you may find at
> >
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/JochenSchmitt/RemoveCFlagsFromRpmOptFlags#preview
> >
> > I will be happy for any comment and improvements.

IMO, a package that can't build with fortify enabled is broken and ought
to be fixed.

> That seems like serious overkill. Gambas can't build with the
> FORTIFY_SOURCE flag, so I remove it like this:
>
> # Gambas can't deal with -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> CFLAGS=`echo $RPM_OPT_FLAGS | sed -e 's/-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2//g'
>
> Thats it. No extra shell scripts necessary. :)

That's acceptable as a temporary work-around, but ... a package not
being able to deal with fortify is very likely to be plain broken (and
harmful, likely to be suffering from memory leaks), which means you are
playing with symptoms and not providing a cure.

Ralf