[Fedora-packaging] No pre-built applications rule

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 05:08:28 UTC 2006

Hey guys,
It's come to my attention that we don't have a "Packages must be built
from source, no precompiled binaries" rule in the current guidelines.  I
think this is an oversight as the Binary Firmware section:
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#BinaryFirmware

implies this for the specific case of firmware.

How about something like:

"Packages must be built from source code.  Including pre-built programs
or libraries is strictly forbidden.  A select few exceptions are made
for binary firmware.  Please see
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#BinaryFirmware
for details."

And on ReviewGuidelines:
"Must: The package must be built from source.  No pre-built programs or
libraries are acceptable."

Thoughts, opinions welcome.

-Toshio