[Fedora-packaging] No pre-built applications rule

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Sep 17 10:16:24 UTC 2006

Hi,

> It's come to my attention that we don't have a "Packages must be built
> from source, no precompiled binaries" rule in the current guidelines.  I
> think this is an oversight as the Binary Firmware section:
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#BinaryFirmware

I have a problem with that and it's called ikvm (one of the mono
packages). It cannot be built from source as FE or FC doesn't have the
bits in yet (I looked into it a while back, but it's beyond my knowledge
to do things with java stuff that needs bringing in). The package that
was accepted is prebuilt.

If ikvm comes out, then quite a number of the other mono packages in FE
will be broken.

However, I do agree that *new* packages should be covered by the "from
source" only with a caveat that as soon as practicable, those already in
are moved to source compiles.

TTFN

Paul
--
"Bist Du meine Mutter?" - das leere kind