[Fedora-packaging] Re: Including a static library

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Sep 25 21:23:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 17:00 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 15:40 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > -static subpackages have always seemed to make sense to me, but it was
> > pointed out to me originally that increasing the number of subpackages
> > increases the size of the metadata and makes all yum operations slower.
> >
> > Thoughts? Perhaps a separate -static repo?

Ugh, separate repo is a nitemare from the point of view of installation
and the build system[1]

> To be fair - the yum operations for fc6 should be fairly dramatically
> sped up. Menno, Tambet and others have done some really good work to get
> rid of slow sections of code or repetitive pieces.

Sadly, we can't really speed up the download of bits.  And _that_ is
where this hurts us.  There have been a lot of good speedups in yum;
let's not go and ruin that by making people have to download and process
more data

Jeremy

[1] And if it doesn't matter for these cases, then I argue they
shouldn't be packaged _at all_.  Because there isn't any way people are
going to get to them