[Fedora-packaging] Re: python: mixing sitearch and sitelib (was: python noarch vs arch)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Sep 2 16:23:26 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 12:16:08PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 18:11 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > OK, here is the original quoting. A user has both arch specific and
> > non-arch specific parts of a package and needs to decide which parts
> > to place under sitelib and which under sitearch.
> >
> > Jesse's (wrong) answer is that if one needs to get into sitearch it
> > pulls the rest into there, too. It's not about files with the same
> > name under sitearch and sitelib as Jesse later explained, it's about a
> > package like python-elementtree and friends that has some parts that
> > are arch specific and some parts that are not. And there is no need to
> > move everything to sitearch contrary to Jesse's statement.
> >
> > Everything clear as mud? Removing too much in quoting generates this
> > kind of confusion.
>
> No, too much assuming causes these problems.  I said "Due to the way
> that python works, if any part of a python's module".  However you
> assumed I was speaking about a python module PACKAGE.  Now, did I say
> Package?  No, I said module.  Pretty hard to remove a quote that didn't
> exist.  Please don't put words in my mouth.

OK, so in your POV a user asked whether it is OK to place foo.py and
bar.so in sitelib and sitearch respectively and you answer that baz.py
can't be installed under both sitearch and sitelib.

I think it's better to admit the original error instead. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net