[Fedora-packaging] [Fwd: devel packages with only one .pc file]

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Sep 4 13:28:51 UTC 2006

Forwarding this here too.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com>
To: List for Fedora Package Maintainers <fedora-maintainers at redhat.com>
Subject: devel packages with only one .pc file
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:11:26 +0200

I've recently got several bugs against package involving basically
splitting out only one pkg-config file into a -devel package, because
the packaging guidelines says so. I've done this for a couple of
packages, but its starting to get very ridicolous.

The one-file -devel package is totally useless, all it leads to is:
* Existance of -devel package means we bloat the 64bit distro with the
32bit version of the main package too.
* Developers, script or packages fail because they want to use the .pc
file but the -devel package is not installed.
* The package metadata (like changelog) stored twice in the rpm
database.

I can't really think of any advantages. What exactly is the reasoning
behind this rule?

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an ungodly neurotic stage actor on a search for his missing sister. She's
a time-travelling foul-mouthed femme fatale trying to make a difference in a
man's world. They fight crime!