[Fedora-packaging] .so files in main package for python packages

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Sep 10 13:11:16 UTC 2006

On Sunday 10 September 2006 05:43, Christopher Stone wrote:
> Upstream claims that the .so file should not be in the devel package
> but should be in the main package.
>
> I told upstream about our .so rule saying .so files should be in
> -devel, but he said this is not the case for python packages, and
> promptly demonstrated that the libxml2-python package is similar and
> that this package puts the .so files in the main pacakge on Fedora as
> well.

Only .so SYMLINKS should be in the -devel package, the symlinks that are made
to the actual libraries that would be in the main package.  Python modules
often have unversioned shared object files (.so) that are part of the module.
They are not development symlinks and they SHOULD be packaged in the main
package.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora